"You Get What You Get Don't You Mummy?"

"You Get What You Get Don't You Mummy?"
"You Get What You Get Don't You Mummy?". Family food ideas for families who want to eat yummy food

Tuesday 21 January 2014

The Fast Diet

So I, along with what seems like the rest of the world are thinking 5:2. The benefits when researched, appear to outweigh any negative points so I thought it was definitely worth a whirl. In the past I have had success with losing weight following the Dukan diet, cutting carbs, eating copious amounts of protein but I thought the appeal of being strict for only 2 days a week was worth a gander.
So today, is my first fast day. I think I'll do my other in 2 days time. So with 500 calories to play with I woke up excitedly and had my usual dieting brekkie of low fat plain yoghurt  (150g) with a touch of sweetener and 1.5 tablespoons of oatbran. Washed down with a cup of tea mad with skimmed milk, that breakfast was 132 cals.
I've planned to skip lunch and next eat at dinner (following much advice). My kids love meatballs in tomato sauce so I though I would work around that idea so I could adapt it into a pasta meal for them. I have come up with the following for tonight's dinner. Its currently 2.08 pm and dinner cannot come too soon!



Huevos rancheros (eggs with a spicy tomato sauce)

SERVES 1 Calories per serving (276)

  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 1 garlic clove chopped
  • 1 red pepper, deseeded and sliced
  • ¼ tsp chilli flakes
  • ¼ tsp dried oregano
  • 1 x 200g tin chopped tomatoes or ½ a 400g tin
  • 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
  • salt and pepper
  • 2 eggs
  • handful flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped

  1. Heat oil in a small frying pan and gently fry garlic, red pepper, oregano and chilli flakes for 5 minutes until softened. Add tomatoes, season, stir and turn down to its lowest heat for about 30 minutes. Check for seasoning and add the balsamic vinegar. Make two dips in the sauce and crack an egg into each. Continue cooking until whites have begun to set, then cover and cook until whites are set, but the yolks are still runny. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.

If your calorie count allows it then try this…You can also make some meatballs which you first brown then cook through in the tomato sauce before adding the eggs 83g of steak mince, seasoned and shaped into balls (91 cals)

No comments:

Post a Comment